Wednesday 12 February 2014

Saree ke fall singer Nakash Aziz wants to become Shahid's voice



Though lyrics connoisseurs may not agree, Saree ke fall matched to the audiences’ heart and the song is a blockbuster. Add to it the serene white desert of Bhuj where Shahid Kapoor and Sonakshi Sinha danced in Prabhu Dheva-style. The song became the highlight of the film, R…Rajkumar. And also a highlight for its singer Nakash Aziz.

“I am getting a lot of attention. I didn’t expect this kind of response. I couldn’t imagine someone could portray the Bhuj desert in such a way,” says Nakash, who sung the song along with Antara Mitra. He also sang Gandi Baat in the film; another version of the song was also made with Mika’s voice. “I know a lot of people actually went to watch the song on the big screen. It has been shot beautifully.”

The song portrays Shahid’s tapori character to the tee, but it wasn’t made for the film. “I had sung Gandi Baat long time back. It was supposed to go for Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, but I think Dada (Pritam) wasn’t too sure about it. At the same time, he was meeting Prabhu Dheva for R…Rajkumar. After a couple of meetings, Prabhu Dheva locked this song. I was asked to sing a scratch to make Prabhu hear it,” laughs the curly haired singer. Initially, the audiences heard Gandi baat in Mika’s voice and later in Nakash’s. “As a producer, I don’t like to push my voice for songs. I wanted Mika’s voice to be retained for Saree ke fall sa, but they (producer and Pritam) thought my voice suited well. They had a change of mind for Gandi baat though.”

While the world is divided into people who like the song, and the ones who despise its lyrics, it isn’t of much importance to Nakash. Going by his track record, I too agree. “This song is just an extension. I have sung songs like Pungi(Agent Vinod), Fata Fati(Barfi) and Second hand jawaani(Cocktail) and Dhating Naach (Phata Poster Nikla Hero).

He hopes to become the voice of Shahid Kapoor. "Earlier, Udit Narayan was Aamir Khan’s voice, Abhijeet was Shah Rukh Khan’s, and S P Balasubramanium was Salman Khan’s. That trend to an extent was disappearing. I have become Shahid voice after Dhating Naach. If I can continue that trend for the current generation, then why not.”

Though two recent songs have brought Nakash’s talent into the spotlight, his singing journey always revolved around reality shows. He was part of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa and not winning the title there, he then participated in Indian Idol. “I had just come out of Sa Re Ga, when Indian Idol happened. People would give me glares (recognizing me) when I went for Indian Idol. It was odd.” Nakash’s Saree ka fall co-singer Antara Mali was also one of his admirers. “Antara came up to me and said that she was a big fan of me. We just laugh about it now,” says Nakash.

Nakash made it to the final eight and was evicted. “I was very sad that I was eliminated from Indian Idol. It was a lot about the X-factor. Though a lot is said about presentation, in the end all these contestants aspire to be behind the microphone. But I have been meeting good people.”

After his Indian Idol journey ended another reality show, in which he participated as a musician, got him the opportunity to meet Rahman. I was working on Chote Ustad where A R Rahman was a judge. Nakash’s job was to recreate the songs, to make singing tracks for the contestants. “I wanted to recreate the tracks exactly the way he did, but in a small budget. But he took notice of it. He offered a jingle, but that didn’t materialize and I didn’t hear from him for a year. Then he called for Delhi 6 background score.”

“In school and college I would listen to only A R Rahman.” Nakash has also worked on two of Rahman’s upcoming projects. “I have been recording for Highway and Kochadaiiyaan.” But he will not be singing in either of these two. “Whenever Rahman sir thinks I am ready he will make me sing."

A die-hard A R Rahman fan, Nakash shares the maestro’s madness for music. But he gets to show this madness with Pritam. “I am into production; I spend a lot of time with Pritam. For a month, I virtually lived with him for R…Rajkumar. I used to go home to take bath. But I like being busy. Pritam feels on pulse and makes the song. That guy’s commitment is crazy. And he forgets things because of his dedication to music.” For Rahman, “I do the recording as he is very busy.”

“Sir listens to any bull shit; he is on You Tube if he is not doing anything. He constantly searches for new sounds.” Nakash even imitates his Oscar winning musician and also the Barfi music director. “The two are very different, but passionate about music.”

No comments:

Post a Comment