Monday 17 February 2014

Vir Das: The only way to be a comedian is to have very little fear and no concept of censorship. People who censor themselves and watch every word and still sound funny are not comedians, those are politicians.

Funny Man Vir Das has a lot more to his personality than just his humor. Over a free-wheeling chat over e-mail, he has candidly opened secret of his introverted heart. 


In two of your upcoming films Khanna Patel and Amit Sahni Ki List you play the lead role. Is your film career on the right path?

I don’t know if there is a right path. I’ve never approached films from that point of view. I’ve got 6 releases in 2014, 4 of them are leads, but I don’t think its enough to just be the lead in the film. There’s no shortage of leads in our industry. What makes you special? I’ve got two priorities. Credibility and longevity. Do I share a relationship with the audience where they believe in my abilities, or think I’m unique? Do I have a place in the industry that can last longer than flavour of the months, and formulas that are trending? That to me is the right path.

Comic actors have always featured as the sidekick or good friend of the film's hero, has that changed now?

Yes. I think the fact that I’m being able to headline films now is indicative of a vacancy in the market. It’s a position I had my eye on for a very long time. The Comedic leading man. Its something that Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Will Ferrel, Steve Martin have all done so well in the west. India is looking for that position to be filled. I’m looking to be that guy. Those are many of the scripts that are coming my way, that’s the genre in which I’m producing films over the next three years and that’s the space where I feel the audience and I have a great relationship.

Do you always look for comedy in the roles and films you pick up?

Not at all. This year will be nothing but variety. Shaadi ke Side Effects is probably the stupidest thing I’ve done on camera yet. Revolver Rani is dark and scary. Khanna Patel is commercial as they come. I’ve just signed another drama this week. ASKL is a rom-com. The idea is to give people a range. I’d rather not do films, than blend in and join the assembly line of young heroes. If I do something its got to be suprising and different for me first…that’s the only way to surprise the audience.

You are also part of Shaadi Ke Side Effects. Between Pyaar and Shaadi, whose side effects would you rather suffer?

I think I’d pick Shaadi. I can see myself settling down some day, for the the side effects would be stability, affection and an adventure. For my wife, insanity.

You are paired opposite Kangana Ranaut in Revolver Rani, which is said to be more of a Kangana film. Is your role meaty enough?

Without saying too much, I think you’re going to be really surprised by Revolver Rani. It’s a side of me that no one has ever explored on screen. It’s the hardest role I’ve played yet. So yes, a lot of meat, and most of it is well cooked.

Will we see you doing some action sequences? What appealed to you in the role?

The fact that it took me to a very dark place, that I was playing a character that wasn’t likeable, and the fact that at a script level it scared the hell out of me. There’s a lot of action and a lot of darkness in the movie. It really opened me up for some of my other performances. I feel like a better actor for having done it.

As a stand up comedian, is it part of your job to overcome fears for jokes on biggies?

If its funny, its funny. That’s all there is too it. Whether it’s a biggie or a small fish. The only way to be a comedian is to have very little fear and no concept of censorship. People who censor themselves and watch every word and still sound funny are not comedians, those are politicians.

Which is unique response you have got from a celebrity, for a joked you cracked on him/her?

Well usually when I crack jokes about a colleague they are sitting ten feet away in the audience and have no choice but to laugh. Most of them are really gracious and take it well. The rest of them have really rehearsed smiles. But I’m still waiting for that day when one of them will pounce on me. I’m hoping it’s a girl, and I’m hoping she’s pretty.

Are you as comic in real life, as are your film characters and comic gigs?

Nope. I’m a pretty introverted guy in real life. I’m socially awkward, shy with women, oblivious to gossip, immune to praise and terrified by parties. Most days my bulldog is better company than my conversations. I think its because I see 6000 new faces a week, maybe I seek a quiter life when I’m off stage.

What are the challenges of an established stand up artist like yourself?

Just writing. I’m in a space now where I’m shooting 6 days a week and traveling like crazy so getting silent time to just sit down with pen and paper is really tough. But beyond that I think I have the best jobs in the world. In a given week I get to shoot a movie, write new songs with my band and make 6000 people laugh…each career supports the other, I’m incredibly fortunate to have that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment