Friday 14 February 2014

Mithoon: I used to drive away when I had a sitting, I wasn't very market friendly

Though Aashiqui 2 songs hit the right chord with the audiences, Mithoon’s rendition Tum Hi Ho and the Aashiqui theme are the top favorites. He likes to attribute this to director Mohit Suri.

“I like to work with people who know what they want from me. Mohit makes movies with heart. And it is important for music directors and directors to build a certain rapport.” Mithoon reveals that he bonds with Mohit on a different level altogether. “He has the habit of clicking my pictures, when I am not noticing and he puts them up on facebook. Raj Kapoor and Jai kishen were great friends and that’s why they created great music. Even Raj Kapoor and Mukesh were good buddies. When Mukesh passed away, Raj Kapoor was greatly impacted; he didn’t know whom to approach for Bobby.”

“Raj Kapoor later bonded with Laxmikant-Pyarelal. When the song, Main shayar toh nahin was being composed, Raj Kapoor was dancing to the waltz when Pyarelal was writing the melodies. This rapport is very important. When Mohit and I have come together it has resulted in some great music like Phir mohabbat karne chala hai and Aye Khuda (Murder 2) and Tum Hi Ho.”

Apart from these recent hits, Mithoon has also composed what can be called Bollywood’s brush with sufi music, Maula Mere Maula and Tose Naina Laage from Anwar. He went on to give music for Aggar and The Train;after which was a hiatus, which ended with Lamha. “Lamha and Murder 2 were both all after hiatus, but they worked. Though I am not market friendly, but some of the best hits in the last decade have been done by me.”

Talk about his so called market unfriendly attitude, Mithoon reveals, “I just used to drive away, even when I had a sitting.” But now, “I want to work more. I have proved myself so many times. That’s why people are willing to work with me on my terms.”

“There are times when directors want to rope in a singer, to bring in some brand value. Some of my biggest hits have been with newcomers. There is no brand like music. Director and I should see things commonly. People have come with me with a very tight schedule. They want a full album in 15 days and I can’t work that fast, which I accept with all humility. I ideally do it in 2-3 months on an average for a film. There have been times when I had to say no to directors.”

Mithoon’s career boasts of various hit singles, but very few full albums as most of his projects have has multiple music directors. “Depending on film-maker to film-maker, some give it the baton to one music director, while some like a more colourful album.”

He considers, Tum hi ho, Javeda Zindagi and Aye khuda his three best compositions. “My dad has made me understand my job as a composer. I am not here to make trendy hooks. I give a lot of importance to melody in my music. My dad made me hear K L Saigal and Madan Mohan songs as a teenager. I am sure no other musician in my age group would have heard them. He made me understand the intricacies of melody. Tum Hi Ho has the influence of 40’s music.”


Ask him if he would like to pass on his teachings to the younger generation through reality shows, Mithoon conveys his displeasure. “I won’t participate in a reality show for fame; I am here to share my opinion through music. I don’t have anything against the others going on such shows, but I won’t do it. If I want to be seen I will go on such shows. If I want to genuinely help upcoming artists, there are ways of doing that.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment