Monday 10 February 2014

Dimple Kapadia on life after Kakaji

At What The Fish launch
You did light hearted roles in your early days and moved on to doing mature roles after marriage. Is this a progression natural in every actor's life?
I have been very lucky for the kind of roles I have been offered. Today I am doing more comedy films for example than I ever did before. Most actors like to do a bit of everything for their own personal satisfaction. I don't think marriage has anything to do with the kind of roles an actor is offered. I technically made a comeback after a long gap with Saagar and still found a variety of roles offered to me. Even today when I am offered roles, I look at each of them differently. it's all about perspective.

A lot of your contemporaries aren't working now. But directors still see you in different roles, do you go into retrospection about this phenomenon?
I feel extremely great that people still feel I have what it takes to make an impact of any kind of roles given to me to play on screen.

Did you see yourself working for so long?
The day I can walk out of a shot without having to ask the director if the shot was okay, I will stop working that day. Till then I will keep working.

You have worked with some of the young crop of directors, like Homi Adajania and Gurmmeet Singh, how do you look at them?
I think the younger lot is very focused and clear in what they are looking for. It's become far more organised, the whole process of film making. A whole new range of roles are being offered, especially to women and this is thanks to new generation of directors.

Are today's directors more involved and evolved?
They are very evolved. They know exactly what they want and they are ready to chase that no matter what. The scripts are very mature and their discipline is commendable. I have been fortunate to work with a lot of young directors like Gurmmeet for What The Fish, Farhan, Zoya, Homi.

Its been a year since Kakaji passed away. Has his absence sunk in yet?
For me its been a difficult period of 6 years. I lost 3 most special and important people in my life. Losing Kakaji was very personal but I made sure not once to show that to the world. I am a very private person and I like to maintain that. I was amazed with the kind of farewell he got, and that he completely owes to his fans.

Do you think Kakaji has gone? No, he'll always remain with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment